n our technological era, there has been a tremendous increase in families building their own custom smart homes, otherwise known as properties that are equipped with security, home automation, and round-the-clock surveillance. The development of technology has also led to an increase in the variety of cameras homeowners can use to protect their homes, with the popular being security cameras and surveillance cameras.
Security cameras, also known as CCTV cameras, are used to convey signals from one particular place to a monitor situated at a distance, whereas surveillance cameras normally work on IP networks which link the camera from the remote area to the assigned security location. Security cameras are something many of us take for granted in our everyday lives, and surveillance cameras have gained great significance in various sectors because of their benefits. So, what are the pros and cons of security cameras and surveillance cameras?
The best home surveillance cameras are an effective security measure due to the benefits they offer. Plus, they’re great tools for when you need to protect your home. Here are some pros and cons of the best home surveillance cameras.
- Hinder crime – This is the most significant benefit of security cameras. Whether the cameras are placed discretely at home or workplace, the sight is usually scary to anyone with ill motives since they will know that their illegal activity has been captured. This is a great solution for areas with a crime problem, and can help keep your office or home from being an easy target.
- Observing scenarios and activities – Security cameras can be placed anywhere as long as there is power source nearby. Depending on your needs, you can install either mountable or hidden cameras to help monitor the activities of people visiting your home or office. This is an excellent way to detect and keep track of dubious visitors.
- Pick up and assemble evidence – Strategically installed cameras are perfect for monitoring people’s words and actions. Plus, with the improvement of technology, modern cameras are equipped with high-quality audio and video ability for recording and documenting events.
- Costs – As compared to dummy cameras, real cameras are costly to install and maintain depending on the features, the number of cameras, and monitoring systems.
- Vulnerability – Advancements in technology have led criminals and other intruders to be more tech-savvy, which enable them to identify real or dummy cameras and work out ways to disable or disconnect the power source of the cameras.
- Privacy compromise – Security cameras have created controversies across the board, especially in the professional sectors. Oftentimes, employees cite them as an invasion of privacy, or take their presence as an implication that their employer doesn’t trust them.
The use of these types of cameras has increased tremendously because of their advantages which include:
- Improve public safety – Surveillance cameras put in public places like a crossroad, malls, and parking lots provide excellent surveillance solutions both in preventing and deterring crimes.
- Reduce crime rates in public areas – It’s likely for an individual to commit a crime when they know there is a surveillance camera that could catch them in the act. Moreover, in case of any suspicion of a crime occurrence at a given place, the area can be cleared as a precaution.
- Convenient monitoring from anywhere – Surveillance cameras are very efficient since you can easily access the camera feed on the internet or even on your smartphone.
A few things to keep in mind while shopping around for surveillance cameras:
- Costly to install – This is a significant drawback of surveillance camera use since they often require purchasing the system accessories separately. Plus, repairs to these systems can get expensive very quickly.
- Complex to use – If you are not a tech-savvy individual then you might find it difficult to use some of the top-quality cameras on the market.
- Easy abuse of surveillance systems – Surveillance cameras placed in public places can be easily abused and misused.