A surveillance hard disk is a type of hard drive that is designed specifically for use in security camera systems, often referred to as CCTV (closed-circuit television) systems. These systems typically require high-capacity, reliable storage to store large amounts of video footage captured by the cameras.
Surveillance hard disks are built with features that are optimized for continuous, high-intensity usage, and are engineered to handle the heavy demands of a 24/7 surveillance system. They are typically designed to support multiple cameras and can store several terabytes of data.
One of the key features of a surveillance hard disk is its ability to handle multiple streams of video data simultaneously. These disks are typically optimized to read and write data at a higher rate, which enables them to process and store large amounts of data quickly. They are also built to withstand high temperatures, vibrations, and other harsh operating conditions that are often associated with security camera installations.
Another important feature of a surveillance hard disk is its ability to provide reliable, long-term storage. These disks are typically built with advanced error-correction and recovery features that ensure that stored data remains intact and accessible over time. Additionally, many surveillance hard disks are designed to operate in RAID arrays, which further enhances their data protection capabilities.
Overall, surveillance hard disks are a critical component of any security camera system, providing the reliable and high-capacity storage required for continuous video surveillance.
Surveillance hard disks are designed with features that make them optimized for use in security camera systems. Here are some of the key features of a surveillance hard disk:
- High capacity: Surveillance hard disks are typically available in large storage capacities ranging from several terabytes to tens of terabytes. This enables them to store a large amount of video footage captured by security cameras.
- 24/7 operation: Surveillance systems operate continuously, which means that surveillance hard disks must be designed for high-intensity usage. They are engineered to handle the constant read and write operations required by security camera systems.
- High-speed data transfer: Surveillance hard disks are designed to support multiple streams of video data simultaneously. They are optimized to read and write data quickly, which enables them to process and store large amounts of data at a high rate.
- Error correction and recovery: Advanced error-correction and recovery features are built into surveillance hard disks to ensure that stored data remains intact and accessible over time. This is critical for long-term storage of video footage.
- Resistance to vibration and shock: Security camera installations can be subject to vibration and shock from environmental factors such as wind or foot traffic. Surveillance hard disks are designed to withstand these conditions and continue to operate reliably.
- Low noise and heat: Surveillance hard disks are typically designed to operate quietly and generate low heat to minimize noise and thermal interference in the surveillance system.
- RAID support: Many surveillance hard disks are designed to operate in RAID arrays, which provides additional data protection and enhances system reliability.
Overall, the features of a surveillance hard disk are designed to ensure reliable and high-capacity storage that can handle the demands of a 24/7 security camera system.
The specifications of a surveillance hard disk can vary depending on the manufacturer and specific model. However, here are some of the typical specifications that you might find for a surveillance hard disk:
- Storage capacity: Surveillance hard disks are typically available in large storage capacities, ranging from several terabytes to tens of terabytes.
- Interface: Most surveillance hard disks use SATA or SAS interfaces to connect to the DVR or NVR.
- Spindle speed: The spindle speed of a surveillance hard disk is usually between 5400 to 7200 RPM, which is slower than typical desktop hard drives. This is done to reduce heat and noise generation.
- Cache: The cache size of a surveillance hard disk can range from 16MB to 256MB. A larger cache can help improve performance.
- MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure): Surveillance hard disks have high MTBF ratings, which indicate the average number of hours the hard drive is expected to operate before failing.
- Workload rating: Surveillance hard disks have workload ratings that indicate the maximum amount of data that can be written to the disk per year. Higher workload ratings mean the hard disk is more durable.
- Operating temperature range: Surveillance hard disks are designed to operate in a wider range of temperatures than desktop hard drives. The operating temperature range can be from 0°C to 70°C or even wider.
- Error recovery controls: Surveillance hard disks have advanced error-correction and recovery features built-in to prevent data loss.
- Vibration resistance: Surveillance hard disks are designed to withstand vibration and shock from external sources such as cameras or foot traffic.
These are some of the typical specifications of a surveillance hard disk. It’s important to check the specific specifications of the hard disk you are considering to ensure it meets your requirements.
There are several manufacturers that produce surveillance hard disks, and many different models to choose from. Here are some of the popular surveillance hard disk models on the market:
- Seagate SkyHawk: Seagate’s SkyHawk line of surveillance hard disks is designed specifically for use in security camera systems. They offer storage capacities ranging from 1TB to 18TB and have advanced error-recovery controls.
- Western Digital Purple: Western Digital’s Purple line of surveillance hard disks are optimized for 24/7 recording, offer storage capacities from 1TB to 18TB, and have a workload rating of up to 360TB/year.
- Toshiba S300: Toshiba’s S300 line of surveillance hard disks are built with advanced image recognition technology to help improve system performance. They offer storage capacities ranging from 1TB to 10TB.
- HGST Ultrastar: HGST’s Ultrastar line of surveillance hard disks are designed for use in high-performance surveillance systems. They offer storage capacities ranging from 4TB to 18TB and have a workload rating of up to 550TB/year.
- WD Gold: Western Digital’s Gold line of hard disks is designed for use in enterprise systems, including surveillance. They offer storage capacities ranging from 1TB to 18TB and have a workload rating of up to 550TB/year.
- Seagate IronWolf: Seagate’s IronWolf line of hard disks is designed for use in NAS systems, including surveillance. They offer storage capacities ranging from 1TB to 18TB and have a workload rating of up to 300TB/year.
These are just a few examples of the many surveillance hard disk models available. When choosing a hard disk, it’s important to consider your specific needs, such as storage capacity, workload rating, and error recovery controls, to ensure you choose the best hard disk for your surveillance system.
Seagate remains the top brand in internal, external and portable CCTV Hard Disk sales. The Increased Demand for optimum surveillance in and around the home and business has led to a need for exceptional CCTV Recording product with excellent recording, storage, and minimal data loss. While Seagate is an international supplier, the Seagate CCTV hard disk delivers on its promises of high speed, reliable performance, and HDD support. CCTV Storage remains a vital part of active surveillance, and with hard drive technology continually changing, the need for dependable operation remains in demand. We take a closer look at the popular range of hard drives for your CCTV systems and whether Seagate is the best security investment you can make.
Seagate Surveillance Hard Drives
Storage becomes an important part of CCTV Security Systems. The CCTV Systems rely on optimum storage to maintain 24-hour security and leave property owners with peace of mind their residence is being monitored. An inability for surveillance hard drives to keep up with its system demands can lead to residential and commercial disaster. Lost security footage compromises the safety, but also makes monitoring of employees and assets impossible.
Any CCTV system is only as strong as its weakest link. In today’s video surveillance systems, Hard drives are as essential as cameras for recording data. Because desktop drives are especially notorious for failing in
surveillance environments, any data loss or corruption can be detrimental to your customers’ businesses as well as yours.
Seagate surveillance hard disk offers a broad range of storage solutions from its smaller 4TB drives to 10TB and more. Its dependable product line allows consumers to choose the amount of storage needed for CCTV purposes. While the larger the hard drive, the more expensive, Seagate has maintained its value range in support of all types of compatible surveillance purposes. Seagate in Kenya offers CCTV Hard Disks from 1 TB TO 12 TB.
Types of Seagate CCTV Hard Disks
The latest release in the Seagate CCTV hard drive range includes the Skyhawk drives. The products have been designed to provide plug and play features, including optimization for digital video playback storage. Easily connect your Seagate hard drives to a 1080p surveillance system. The flexibility of the product allows for the install of additional drives and cameras.
The Seagate SkyHawk CCTV Hard disks categorized into three types depending on the application requirements. The ideal Seagate CCTV hard drive provides smooth transition and optimization. It offers compatible firmware for surveillance systems including streaming and data overwriting. The drives offer advanced data loss protection so should an error occur while recording, the drive creates a backup or firmware minimizes the loss of information. It is important to learn of the compatibility of a system before investing in storage drives.
These are the types of Seagate Surveillance Hard disks
- SMB surveillance DVR and NVR [ 1TB , 2 TB, 3 TB, 4 TB, 6 TB, 8 TB]
SkyHawk 8 TB ST8000VX0022
SkyHawk 8 TB ST8000VX004
SkyHawk 6 TB ST6000VX0023
SkyHawk 6 TB ST6000VX001
SkyHawk 4 TB ST4000VX007
SkyHawk 3 TB ST3000VX009
SkyHawk 3 TB ST3000VX010
SkyHawk 2 TB ST2000VX008
SkyHawk 1 TB ST1000VX005
- AI-surveillance NVR [ 8 TB, 10 TB, 12 TB, 14 TB , 16 TB]
Seagate expands the Surveillance HDD family with SkyHawk AI, the only purpose-built drive to reliably record both high-resolution video images and deep learning insights.
SkyHawk AI 16TB ST16000VE000
SkyHawk AI 14TB ST14000VE0008
SkyHawk AI 12TB ST12000VE0008
SkyHawk AI 10TB ST10000VE0008
SkyHawk AI 10TB ST10000VE0004
SkyHawk AI 8TB ST8000VE000
SkyHawk AI 8TB ST8000VE0004
- Centralized/NVR Analytics [ 16TB, 14TB,12TB, 10TB, 8TB, 6TB, 4TB, 2TB, 1TB ]
Depending on the TYPE of your Seagate CCTV hard drive, the general performance for the smaller drives can reach anywhere between 180 TB/year to 550 TB/year. The Product also offered with a warranty between 3 Years to 5 Years.SkyHawk™ surveillance drives are built for NVR and DVR designed for 24*7 working capacity available from 1 TB to 10 TB. Skyhawk hard disk reduces the frame drop and downtime. These hard drives feature ImagePerfect firmware enables clear and smooth video streaming.
The CCTV Hard drives have been shown to drop in performance once in a while, but these lags could be due to the optimization processes. Hikvision NVR, 4.0 OS systems, and select Dahua NVR systems equipped with Skyhawk Health Management [ SHM] which enable depth analysis of HDD and provide information on HDD Performance optimization. This type mechanism is kind of first in the surveillance HDD market. The Skyhawk AI type of hard disks carries Built-in RV sensors for supporting 16+ bays in an NVR. The Seagate AI HDD is having a tremendous performance rate of 550TB/yr workload. The Seagate CCTV hard drive provides safe and reliable performance. It certainly delivers value for money and remains a top choice for compatible surveillance systems.
Choosing The CCTV Hard Drives
For the home surveillance and independent DVR system, a hard drive of 1TB to 8Tb should be sufficient. The Seagate surveillance HDD of 4TB can deliver recording speeds of 6GB/s and able to connect up to 64 cameras. Seagate has emphasized its dedication to quality, cost, and performance. It can handle a multi-drive environment and offer triple the speeds and capacity of a PC hard drive. This provides the option to expand your surveillance system over time. The larger drives incorporate firmware optimization. This type of technology has been recognized as supporting smooth performance, minimizing delays and supporting the longevity of the drive.
Why Choose Seagate Surveillance Hard Drives
Seagate offers a modern line of CCTV hard drive technology. The HDD products for surveillance purposes should include the 4TB, 6TB or 8Tb storage. It provides round the clock recording, fast performance, and fair pricing. With room to expand, you do not have the extra expense or complications of adapting your entire camera system. Seagate surveillance drives help both homes and businesses expand on its camera surveillance with a seamless transition. Purchase your Seagate drives from Seagate authorized Distributor in Kenya.